Skilled Independent Visa (SubClass-189)
This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. With this visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and eligible family members can be included in your application. This is a permanent visa and allows visa-holders to remain in Australia indefinitely with full work rights.
To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through Skill Select. You can do this in or outside Australia.
Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, you must:
- 1. submit an Expression of Interest
- 2. have an occupation that is on the relevant Skilled Occupation List
- 3. have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- 4. be older than 18 and less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
- 5. meet the English language requirements
- 6. be able to score at least 60 on the points test.
If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to submit your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the process you should follow. Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.
You can include the following family members in your visa application:
- 1. your partner
- 2. your or your partner's dependent child
- 3. your or your partner's dependent relative.
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- 1. live and work Permanently in Australia
- 2. study in Australia
- 3. enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- 4. access certain social security payments
- 5. apply for Australian Citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- 6. sponsor family members for Permanent Residence.