Australia Skilled Visa(SubClass-489)
Candidates Unable to qualify under the selection criteria for either Australia Skilled Independent (Sub-class 189) or Australia Skilled State Sponsored (Sub-class 190) for any given reason, can submit a petition for Australia Skilled Regional Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) Visa.
To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia.
Under this visa, you can either be nominated by a state or territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative.
There are basic requirements you must meet to apply for this visa. You must: be invited to apply
- 1. be older than 18 and less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
- 2. nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- 3. have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
- 4. have at least competent English
- 5. score at least 60 on the points test
- 6. meet the health and character requirements.
If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to submit your Online Application. Your invitation letter will explain the process you should follow. Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.
You can include the following family members in your visa application:
- 1. your partner
- 2. your or your partner's dependent child
- 3. your or your partner's dependent relative.
You get several benefits such as:
- 1. Reside in Down Under for a maximum of 4 years.
- 2. Stay, do a job, and pursue studies in a specified regional area of the country.
- 3. Take a trip in and out of Oz while the permit is legally legitimate.
- 4. You also get a corridor to the prized Permanent Residence (PR).
There are obligations that your nominating state or territory will require you to meet. These include that you:
- 1. stay in that state or territory for at least two years
- 2. keep the state or territory informed of any changes to your address
- 3. complete surveys and provide information when asked.
Sponsored by an eligible family member
You must live and work in a designated area. If you plan to seek Permanent Residence, you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in a designated area.
If you do not comply with the conditions of your visa:
- 1. your visa, and those of any accompanying family members, may be cancelled
- 2. you will not be able to apply for another Provisional Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa
- 3. you may not meet the requirements to apply for permanent residence.
A sponsor must be at least 18 years of age who resides in Australia as one of the following:
- 1. an Australian citizen
- 2. an Australian Permanent Resident
- 3. an Eligible New Zealand citizen.
You or your partner must be related to your sponsor as:
- 1. a child including a stepchild, or
- 2. a parent including a step parent, or
- 3. a brother or sister including adoptive or step-sibling, or
- 4. a niece or nephew including adoptive or step-niece or nephew, or
- 5. an aunt or uncle including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle, or
- 6. a grandparent or first cousin.